In order to take advantage of all the features in Dataro (including automated results analysis and better tagging) we recommend storing your campaign data in the following way.
Step 1: Create the Appeal and Associated Packages
We recommend using just a single Appeal for a particular campaign. Even if a particular campaign contains multiple channels (EDM, DM, TM etc), multiple Waves (Wave 1, Wave 2) and multiple segments (Lapsed givers, Regular givers). These will all come under the banner of a single Appeal in Raiser's Edge. Use the Package information to store all the different 'components' of the campaign. For instance one package may be "Active Givers - Wave 2 - DM", while another may be "Regular Givers - EDM". Use the following RE documentation to create these Appeals and Packages:
- Create the Appeal
- Create a new appeal by going to Records > Appeals > New Appeal (More details here)
- Create each package in the Packages tab
Pro Tip: Remember, make your Descriptions informative, while keep your Codes short and structured for internal lookups. For example if you are running a 2020 Christmas Appeal, your Appeal Description would be "2020 Christmas Appeal", while your Appeal Code might be "2020_APPEAL_XMAS". The same applies to Packages
Step 2: Add constituents to the appeal
This step is incredibly important for keeping a log of all constituents who received your appeal. It is important that every communication and every constituent has its own record. So, if a constituent receives an EDM, and 2x DMs, they will have 3 records added here. Here is how to add the list in RE:
- Generate a list of all communications in the campaign, either using a Query in RE, or the exported list from Dataro's Campaign Builder.
- Ensure your column names match what RE expects. Dataro recommends adding the following fields at a minimum. Additional fields can be seen in the screenshot below and in this PDF guide.
Active Regular Givers
- Add Appeal to records by going to Admin > Globally Add Records. Consult this article for more information.
Pro Tip: CAPImpID will be blank if the appeal has not yet been assigned in Raiser's Edge. If it has already been added to constituent records then this unique ID can be used to update an existing appeal or package on the donor record
For more information on imports in RE. Consult this article by Blackbaud. Most importantly, if you are using Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.