Tagging all transactions in your database is an important step in generating the right predictions for your donors. For instance, if somebody donated to a DM appeal, door knock, community bake sale or as part of a regular gift, it is important that we know that.
Dataro has a system to automatically identify or 'tag' every transaction and communication in your system using the information in your CRM such as the size of a campaign, when it was run, how many people gave to it, what it is called and more.
Sometimes Dataro will ask for your help in improving these tags. To do that you will firstly need to understand the different Dataro Category Tags and Dataro Channel Tags.
Dataro Category Tags
- Appeal: Gifts to an appeal with a single ask (e.g.,Tax DM Appeal)
- Newsletter: Gifts to a periodic newsletter (e.g., Monthly newsletter)
- Acquisition: Gifts from new donors who have not given before (e.g., List swap DM Acquisition)
- Event: Donations made at events (e.g. Gala Dinner)
- Raffle: Donations made for the chance at a prize (e.g. "New Year New Car" Raffle)
- Merchandise: Transactions for items bought via a store (eg. Online T-Shirt purchase)
- Community: Gifts made to a community event to support the charity (e.g. Bake-sales)
- Peer-to-Peer: Gifts made via crowdfunding to support an individual (e.g. Everyday Hero)
- Gifts in Will: Gifts made in a will (e.g. Bequests)
- Trusts & Foundations: Gifts made on behalf of a trust or foundation
- Membership: Membership payments (e.g. Sporting club membership)
- RG Acquisition: A campaign for the purpose of acquiring new donors specifically for Recurring Giving
- RG Upgrade: A campaign targeted at existing recurring givers to encourage them to increase their gift amount
- RG Retention: A campaign to proactively prevent donors from canceling their recurring giving
- RG Reactivation: A campaign to reactivate lapsed recurring givers
- Convert to RG: A program that seeks to convert donors from single giving to recurring giving
- Receipt: A communication that is sent to a donor as a receipt of an earlier donation. Very occasionally donors will contribute as a response to a receipt.
- Workplace Giving: Regular contributions made as part of an employee’s salary
- Stewardship: Stewardship activities made to potential major donors
- Thank You: A thank you communication without an ask (e.g., Giving 12 months Thank You)
- Petition: A sign-up through a form or signature (e.g., Facebook Save the Climate leads)
- In Memory: Gifts made in memory of an individual.
- Corporate: Gifts made on behalf of corporate entities
- Survey: A campaign that has the purpose of collating donor attitudes to particular questions and issues.
- RG Declines: A campaign undertaken to resolve RG payment issues with donors.
If your gift or communication type is not found above, we have two "Other" types. These are:
- One-off: Other single gift donations not classified above
- Regular Gift: Other Regular Gift donations (e.g., monthly or annual gifts made as a recurring contribution)
Dataro Channel Tags
Each campaign you run will typically be sent via a particular communication channel. They are:
- Phone: Telemarketing campaigns made over the phone
- Mail: Direct Mail (DM) and undirected mail sent via the post
- Email: Email (EDM) campaigns
- SMS: Campaigns sent via SMS
- Event: Campaigns made at an isolated event
- Online: Campaigns made online (via a website), or other digital channels (such as Facebook)
- Face-to-Face: Communications made on the street and in-person (e.g., Face to Face RG Acquisition)
- Door-to-Door: Communications made in person at the supporter's residence
- DRTV: A campaign where the primary communication is via Direct TV Commercials or PSAs.
- Other: Any other channel not detailed above
For example: if somebody donated to "DM Tax Appeal 2020", then the campaign category is "Appeal" and the channel is "Mail".
Your organisation may not contain all these different programs and tags, that's OK. You may also have slightly different definitions and that's OK too. The important part is that the Dataro Categories and Dataro Channels are accurate based on our definitions.
When we ask for your help, we will provide you with a file that contains all your campaigns and appeals and the Dataro Category and Dataro Channel. All you have to do is look through those tags, and identify any tags you think are incorrect and update them. You can also leave a comment to explain why you made that decision.
The great news is that you will only need to do this process once!